Recent columns. For easier reading, click on link, then click on "Article as pdf" under "Article Tools" (right sidebar)
- Soliloquy on a Life-and-Death Decision Get in the head of a patient making a decision about hospice vs promising-but-unproven treatment
- To Try or Not to Try This essay discusses the challenges of talking about unproven new therapies such as Car-T with patients who have no standard options.
- Doctors' Condolence Notes For clinicians, this essay explains why condolence notes are not passe. For families who never received a condolence note from their loved one's physician, this offers a few explanations.
- When Should Patients Stop Fighting? Healing answers for patients with advanced disease who ask, "When should I stop fighting?"
- Why Patients Don't Bounce Back What it means to be resilient after cancer.
A series on dealing with genetic inheritance:
- Patients' Genetic Inheritance Book review of A Cancer in the Family by Theodora Ross, MD
- Your Genetic InheritanceA Patient Handout to help patients deal with the possibility that their cancer is hereditary.
- My Mutation Dr. Harpham shares what it was like to learn she carried a deleterious mutation.
- Your Mutation A handout to help patients deal with the news that they carry a deleterious mutation
Articles on Healthy Survivorship and Hope
- Potatoes and A Healthy Survivor
- Chasm of a Cure and Misguided Metaphor
- On Borrowed Time
- There is Hope and Healing Hope